Wednesday 20 December 2017

Activity:In the 1800s, most Māori lived in villages called pa. Each village had many buildings – kauta where people cooked, pataka where they stored goods and wharepuni where the Māori slept. A traditional wharepuni had a thatched roof and walls made of timber, fern, rushes and bark. Look at the picture below of a traditional wharepuni. Does it look like your house?

On your blog, compare the wharepuni to your own home. What are two similarities and two differences between a wharepuni and your house?

Answer: Our house right now is a normal house, like everyone's. But in the old days their house's were way different. Here are my compares to the olden day house and the house I have now.

My House now:
A lot of space.
Wifi.
New phone's
Pet's.
T.v


Olden day house's:
Not much space.
Old cell phones
No Pet's.
Television

Thanks for reading!

Blog Ya Later!

3 comments:

  1. Hi there,its Toeumu i like your facts.Have you been in a wharepuni before? Your post reminds me when i did that activity.Mabye next time you could add a picture.

    Blog you later 👍

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Washington,

    I really enjoyed reading about your comparisons between houses in the 1800's and your house today. Do you notice any differences and similarities between the structure of the house? I really like how you thought about how wharepuni's didn't have pets in the 1800's. This comparison really had me thinking. After doing my own research, you may be interested to know that Maori brought kuri's (Polynesian dogs) with them from Polynesia when they migrated to New Zealand. These kuri's helped them hunt and explore the island, but also, their fur was used to make clothing and their teeth to make tools.

    Thank you so much for inspiring my own research and teaching me something about the 1800's. I will not be actively blogging over the next 10 days but I will have a team keeping an eye on your blogs and responding to your activities. I can't wait to see some more exciting posts from you when I return.

    Happy holidays,
    Megan :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia Ora Washington,

    Cadence here from the Summer Learning Journey team! Great to see another activity completed.

    Well done on comparing your home with the Wharepuni. You’ve managed to point out some great similarities and differences.

    Have you seen or been inside a Wharepuni before? I got to see inside one at Te Papa, they are quite small compared to homes being built today. Maybe you could compare the material used to build a Wharepuni and your home? I’m sure they would be quite different.

    Keep up the great work Washington!

    Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

    Cadence :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.